School & College Counseling
At St. Mary Academy - Bay View, we understand that in order to prepare our girls and young women for the future, we need to educate them in mind, body and spirit. This dedication to educating the whole person, plus our ability to offer personalized attention from school counseling to health services, means that when a students graduates from Bay View, she is empowered to be a confident, independent, compassionate and socially conscious young woman who fully lives her faith...just as our mission compels us.
Bay View’s school and college counselors facilitate the spiritual, academic, career and personal/social growth of students to prepare them as confident, independent, socially-conscious leaders in the global community.
The Lower and Middle Schools benefit from a full-time school counselor who works with students one-on-one and in small groups around personal and social interactions, coordinates ILPs and works with student service providers. The Upper School includes a School Counseling department comprised of grade-specific counselors, as well as a dedicated college counselor.
Freshmen and sophomores work closely with their school counselor to discuss and plan for their coursework while in high school as well as explore possible careers and college majors. Students are encouraged to set up appointments during their study or on-campus period to talk to their counselor.
Throughout a student’s time at Bay View, school counselors also provide the following services:
- Informational (college and career exploration)
- Interpretive (placement test results, PSAT results)
- Supportive (instruction in study skills, organization and time management; referrals for education support or testing; follow-up after educational evaluations; and teacher/parent conferences)
- Personal (clarification of student issues and assistance in problem solving, decision making and goal setting),
- Therapeutic (referrals to outside agencies and consultation with private professionals)
St. Mary Academy - Bay View's college counseling philosophy throughout the application process is simple and powerful: Choosing a best-fit college is a critical step to forge a path to success. Our college counselor is dedicated to working closely with junior and senior students as well as their families, helping them navigate the application process and determine which colleges and universities best suit their academic, personal and professional goals. Through individual and small group meetings, classroom visits and advisory presentations, each student will be provided the resources and advocacy to make the most appropriate college choice.
Using the web-based solution, Naviance Succeed, our college counselors assist students with course planning, career planning, and college planning. In addition, students and their families have access to Family Connection, which allows users to:
- Get involved in the planning process - build a resume; manage timelines and deadlines for making decisions about colleges and careers.
- Research colleges - compare GPA, standardized test scores, and other statistics to actual historical data from students who have already applied from Bay View.
- Sign up for college visits - find out which colleges are visiting our school and sign up to attend those sessions.
|Calculus AB & BC|
|Computer Science A|
|Computer Science Principles|
|English Language & Composition|
|English Literature & Composition|
|Italian Language & Culture|
|Physics C: Mechanics|
|Spanish Language & Culture|
|Studio Art: Drawing|
|U.S. Government & Politics|
*Students enrolled in these courses are required to sit for their respective AP exam in May.
2018 Advancement Placement Participation:
|352||AP Exams Administered|
|76%||of seniors took one or more AP Exams|
|63%||of juniors took one or more AP Exams|
|12%||of sophomores took one or more AP Exams|