- About Bay View
- Why Bay View
- Mission Statement
- Mission Integration
- Principals & Associate Principals
- Board of Trustees
- Sisters of Mercy
- Faculty and Staff
- Bay View Today Magazine
- History of Our Logo
- Employment Opportunities
- Contact Us
- Directions To Our Campus
- Press Kit
- Lower School
- Middle School
- Upper School
Opened as St. Mary Seminary in East Providence by the Sisters of Mercy in 1874, St. Mary Academy-Bay View began and continues as a private school for young women. The Sisters of Mercy continue to sponsor this ministry of education.
The focus on single-sex education is rooted in the belief of Catherine McAuley, foundress of the Sisters of Mercy, that, "there is nothing more conducive to the good of society than the education of young women." Continued research supports this value, especially for young women at the secondary level.
In 1874, the Howard Mansion in Riverside, Rhode Island was purchased as the Academy. Fire destroyed the 19th century building in 1948, making construction of the present complex a necessity. St. Mary Academy-Bay View opened for the first session in the present high school building on January 31, 1949.
In January, 1967, St. Mary Academy-Bay View was separately incorporated. The entire elementary school moved to St. Joseph Hall in 1968. The boarding school closed in June, 1979. The elementary school was co-educational for many years. In 1970, when grades seven and eight became part of the high school, education for boys was formally phased out. By the academic year 1995-1996, boys were no longer part of the makeup of the elementary school.
In the spring of 1991, after a year of intense preparation and visitation, the United States Department of Education recognized St. Mary Academy-Bay View as a Blue-Ribbon School of Excellence. Because the level of students continues to become stronger and stronger, by 1996-1997, the curriculum no longer included a level three placement. The Blue-Ribbon School of Excellence was renewed in June 2002.
The Board of Trustees was formed in June, 1991. In September, 1991, a proposal on reconstructing the Academy was presented to the Board of Trustees "that the elementary and high school combine into one institution - Pre-Kindergarten through Grade Twelve under the direction of a president."
The proposal became a reality; the elementary and high school combined into one institution. The first president was named in the spring of 1994, was scheduled to begin her term of office in the fall of 1994 and was installed the following spring. Strategic planning was and continues to be a major component of the president's focus.
In the spring of 1996, for the first time in the history of the Academy, a lay woman, a Mercy Associate, was appointed by the President of the Academy to serve as principal of the Middle / High School. At the same time, a new focus was established; the Middle School concept. After considerable time spent in workshops and courses, the Middle School became a reality in September, 1996.
Block scheduling was tried and tested during the fall and spring semesters of the academic year 1994-1995 and became an established practice thereafter.
As part of Bay View's Strategic Plan, Bay View 2000, a facilities study was initiated in September, 1997 which resulted in the development of a master facilities plan for the entire complex. The Master Facilities Plan was a multi-phased one. The first phase included construction of an Athletic Wellness Center which supports the Pre-Kindergarten through Grade Twelve physical education and athletic programs. Subsequent phases included the renovation and relocation of the kitchen, dining room and Upper School Library, installation of a sprinkler system and dedicated exits for early childhood classrooms, renovation of Middle School classrooms, replacement of the central heating plant and underground storage tank, replacement of the Mercy Hall elevator and creation of a new main entrance and reception area.
The Academy is attractively located in the midst of approximately twenty acres of land. A regulation size softball field, a soccer field, recreational areas and a 270 car parking lot are located behind the four buildings which house the Academy. The Academy is conveniently located on the public transportation line. Students are provided with free bus transportation from cities and towns designated to be within the Academy's region.
St. Mary Academy-Bay View in its 139-year tradition has always focused on providing young women with a superior education - based on the Judeo-Christian values and a spirit of innovation.